Downtown
Kendallville, IN

Downtown Kendallville, Indiana, was entered into the Indiana Register of Historic Sites and Structures on October 29, 2003. Then, in December of the same year, the area was declared an Historic District by the National Register of Historic Places.

The geographic area that is the focus of Experience the Heart of Kendallville is generally defined as the Main Street corridor, plus businesses operating one block east and one block west, from the Norfolk and Southern Railroad to the north and Diamond Street to the south.

The geographic area included in the historic designation is comprised of about six blocks of the original town platted by William Mitchell in 1847. It covers an area roughly bounded by Harris and Rush Streets, and the alleys east and west of Main Street.  

The architectural styles notable in this district include Italianate, Queen Anne, Romanesque, Classical Revival, and Bungalow/Craftsman, with periods of significance from 1850-1874, 1875-1899, 1900-1924, and 1925-1949. There are 46 contributing buildings within this district, which represent 87% of all the structures in the area. These structures have served as professional offices, restaurants, financial institutions, specialty stores, and City Hall. 

Among the most ornate buildings in the district are described in the gallery below. (Details extracted from the original National Register of Historic Places Registration Form.

131 S. Main St.
131 S. Main St.

Two-story brick Italiate with recessed entry doors, terrazo entryway "OHLWINE". Four-over-one rounded arch windows with keystone detail.

press to zoom
215 S. Main St.
215 S. Main St.

Two-story Queen Anne. Second floor is covered in highly decorative painted metal including floral patterns, geometric patterns, and protruding elephant head brackets; egg-and-dart detailing.

press to zoom
Iddings-Gilbert-Leader-Anderson
Iddings-Gilbert-Leader-Anderson

Two story Queen Anne with almost identical pressed metal facades with two remaining original storefronts, and an intact second story. The second floor is a series of five bay windows separated by pressed metal columns and panels; cornice is embellished with moldings and brackets.

press to zoom
131 S. Main St.
131 S. Main St.

Two-story brick Italiate with recessed entry doors, terrazo entryway "OHLWINE". Four-over-one rounded arch windows with keystone detail.

press to zoom
1/7